LAKE COUNTY, Calif. – Pacific Gas and Electric Co. (PG&E) this weekend urges customers to prepare for rising temperatures and fire danger, with 100-to-105-degree temperatures in interior valley locations and dry northerly winds in foothill regions.
Heat related outage activity is possible over the weekend, but a major heat wave is not expected.
Power demand during hot summer weather can overload electrical equipment causing power outages, which occur when circuit breakers or other protective equipment shut off the flow of power in order to prevent further damage to the electrical system.
Here are some useful ways to stay cool and safe:
- Stay in the shade: Direct sunlight can speed up the effect the heat has on your body. Do outdoor activities in the morning or evening hours, avoid being in the afternoon heat.
- Stay hydrated: Keep drinking plenty of water, even if you're not thirsty. Avoid drinks with caffeine or alcohol.
- Take showers: A cool shower or bath is a great way to stay cool and much more effective than using an electric fan.
- Wear loose-fitting, lightweight clothing: If you are outside, don't forget to wear a hat or carry an umbrella to protect your head and neck.
- Wear sunscreen: Protect your skin and reduce the risk of sunburn. Sunburn affects your body's ability to cool itself.
Here are some useful ways to stay cool and still save energy and save on your bill:
- Keep your thermostat at 78°F when you are home and at 85°F when you leave your home. If you are elderly, frail, or sensitive to extreme heat, lower your thermostat to a cool and comfortable level to avoid a heat-related illness.
- Keep many bottles of water in the refrigerator
- Switch off unnecessary lights
- Avoid using appliances during the peak heat of the day
- Use your microwave to heat food instead of your oven
- If you have a pool, reset your pool pump to run during off-peak hours of the day
- Use energy-efficient products. PG&E provides cash rebates for selected equipment. See rebates or call our Smarter Energy Line at 1(800) 933-9555.