LAKE COUNTY, Calif. – The Lake County Winery Association has announced the winners of the 2013 Lake County Wine Awards.
The association hosted the 2013 Lake County Wine Awards Dinner on Wednesday, July 17, at Twin Pine Casino & Hotel.
Author, wine writer and wine educator Ray Johnson presided as director of the Wine Awards and announced best of class, best in show and winery of the year.
The awards were determined by prestigious professional wine judges from across the country who blind tasted and evaluated individual entries – awarded medals, selected top finalists of each category and determined the best overall at Brassfield Estate Winery July 10-12.
Judges, including Deborah Parker Wong, The Tasting Panel; John Buechenstein, Culinary Institute of America and UC Davis Extension Wine Educator; Catherine Fallis, Master Sommelier; Don Neel, Practical Winery and Vineyard Journal; Lee Reinsimar, Dean and Deluca Wine and Spirits Buyer; Bob Ecker, freelance writer for Dallas Morning News, Chicago Tribune, Decanter Magazine; Dan Kaiser, Jole Restaurant Wine Buyer; Mike Dunne, Sacramento Bee and Martha Dunne, Winegigs.com, awarded the following sweepstakes winners:
- BEST WINERY: Langtry Estate and Wildhurst Vineyards;
- BEST WHITE WINE: 2012 Chacewater Organic Sauvignon Blanc;
- BEST ROSÉ WINE: 2012 Steele Cabernet Franc Rosé;
- BEST RED WINE: 2010 Chacewater Petite Sirah;
- BEST DESSERT WINE: 2009 Robledo Family Winery White Riesling, Limited Edition.
Plus Best of Category winners:
- BEST Sauvignon Blanc (<$17): 2012 Chacewater Sauvignon Blanc and 2012 Chacewater Organic Sauvignon Blanc;
- BEST Sauvignon Blanc (>$17): 2012 Langtry Sauvignon Blanc, Lillie Vineyard;
- BEST Chardonnay: 2011 Wildhurst Vineyards Chardonnay;
- BEST Riesling: 2009 Gregory Graham Riesling, Roumiguiere Vineyard;
- BEST Other White: 2012 Bassfield Estate Winery Serenity;
- BEST Rosé: 2012 Steele Cabernet Franc Rosé;
- BEST Pinot Noir: 2010 Steele Shooting Star Pinot Noir;
- BEST Zinfandel: 2010 Wildhurst Vineyards Zinfandel and 2010 Wildhurst Vineyards Zinfandel, Home Ranch Vineyard;
- BEST Other Italian Red: 2011 Rosa d'Oro Vineyards Aglianico;
- BEST Syrah: 2010 Six Sigma Ranch & Winery Syrah, Marianne's Reserve;
- BEST Petite Sirah: 2010 Chacewater Petite Sirah and 2010 Steele Writer's Block Petite Sirah;
- BEST Rhone Red: 2009 Sol Rouge Gypsy Rouge;
- BEST Merlot: 2010 Wildhurst Vineyards Merlot, Plunkett Creek Series;
- BEST Cabernet Sauvignon: 2010 Langtry Cabernet Sauvignon, Tephra Ridge Vineyard and 2010 Steele Cabernet Sauvignon;
- BEST Bordeaux Red: 2009 Cougar's Leap Wild Cat Red, Black Rock Vineyard and 2010 Gregory Graham Magma Red, Snows Lake Vineyard;
- BEST Other Red: 2011 Vigilance Cimarron and 2011 Dalliance;
- BEST Sweet White Wines (>5% RS): 2009 Robledo Family Winery White Riesling, Limited Edition.
“We are privileged to have such a distinguished panel of judges join us at Brassfield Estate Winery to evaluate the wines we cultivate in this majestic region” said Jacquelyn Farrington, Event Chair
The top scoring wines in each category will advance to the People’s Choice Wine Competition held on Saturday night, Aug. 31, at the Lake County Fair, where community members will blind-taste and select the People’s Choice.
For a full list of medal winners, please visit www.lakecountywineries.org .
For more information or to purchase tickets for The People’s Choice Wine Competition on Aug. 31 visit the winery association on Facebook.